Saturday, May 22, 2010

subversive embroidery a.k.a the devil made me do it

I made these two neck pieces for a show and auction called Romantica, in mid-February this year. Just around St Valentine's Day, the theme was naturally everything conceivable under the title.

For a change, I wanted to do something quite subtle and soft, deceptively conservative and even repressed, but with a twist. So I thought embroidery, that traditional ladylike past-time to ponder all kinds of things on long afternoons, and that I still had to learn at school, was the perfect way to adorn some silk flowers.

Which came with really quite prominent centre parts ; )


– Click on the images for better detail –





Like a Virgin I (2010)
silk flowers, glass beads, crystals, antique imitation pearls, antique catch





Like a Virgin II (2010)
silk flowers, glass beads, crystals, antique imitation pearls, antique catch






















Both sides were embroidered.

1 comment: